How Else Can I Give to the Institute for Free Speech?

May 31, 2019   •  By IFS staff
Default Article

Gifts by Mail
Gifts by Phone
Gifts of Stock
Gifts from Your IRA – Making a Qualified Charitable Distribution
Institute for Free Speech Legacy Society

Gifts by Mail

Institute for Free Speech
124 S. West St. Suite 201
Alexandria, VA 22314

Gifts by Phone

Contact Alex Kroll, Development Director
Tel: (703) 894-6832

Gifts of Stock

You may support our work by donating appreciated stock. If you make such a donation, please let us know by contacting Alex Kroll (IFS’s Development Director) by email at

Here is a sample letter you can fill in, sign, and give to your broker.



RE: Letter of Instruction to transfer securities

I wish to irrevocably contribute [NUMBER] shares of [NAME OF SECURITY AND TICKER SYMBOL] to the Institute for Free Speech as a gift.

Please transfer theses shares from my Account Number: ________________.

Please transfer the shares to the Institute for Free Speech brokerage account:

Fidelity Investments
DTC number: 0226
Institute for Free Speech
Account number: Z69-357804

Gifts from Your IRA – Making a Qualified Charitable Distribution

If you are over 70 ½ and can’t itemize your deductions, giving through your IRA can be a tax smart way to make a contribution. While you can’t claim a tax deduction from a gift out of your IRA, giving to a charity from your required minimum distribution takes the gift out of your taxable income, and cuts your income tax.

When you are over age 70 1/2, the IRS says “required minimum distributions (RMDs) [from your IRA] must be taken each year beginning with the year you turn age 70 1/2.” However, the IRS notes that “qualified charitable distributions can satisfy all or part the amount of your required minimum distribution from your IRA. For example, if your 2018 required minimum distribution was $10,000, and you made a $5,000 qualified charitable distribution for 2018, you would have had to withdraw another $5,000 to satisfy your required minimum distribution.”

For more information, see the IRS page on it here. This article is also very informative.

Please mail your Qualified Charitable Distribution to:

Institute for Free Speech
124 S. West Street, Suite 201
Alexandria, VA 22314

If your mutual fund or broker that manages your IRA needs our tax ID number, it is 20-3676886.

Institute for Free Speech Legacy Society

A charitable bequest is one of the easiest ways you can leave a lasting impact protecting the First Amendment rights to free political speech.  A bequest may be made in your will or trust directing a tax-deductible gift to the Institute for Free Speech.

Benefits of Your Bequest:

  • Receive an estate tax charitable deduction
  • Lessen the burden of taxes on your estate
  • Leave a lasting legacy

How Do You Make a Bequest to a Charity?

With the help of an advisor, you can include language in your will or trust specifying a gift to be made to a charity as part of your estate plan.

Your Bequest Options?

A bequest may be made in several ways:

  • Gift of a percentage of your estate
  • Gift of a specific dollar amount or asset
  • Gift from the balance or residue of your estate

Making a Bequest of Your Retirement Assets

A retirement asset, such as an ITA, makes an excellent bequest and offers additional tax benefits. If the IRA were given to your family, much of the value may be lost through estate and income taxes. By designating a charity as the beneficiary of all or part of your IRA (using a beneficiary designation form provided by your custodian), the full value of the gift is transferred income tax-free at your death, and your estate receives an estate tax charitable deduction.

As with all important tax matters and estate planning, we recommend that you consult your attorney.

If you want to make a bequest, contact Development Director Alex Kroll at or (703) 894-6832.

IFS staff

IFS staff